Scout of the Year Award
The Veterans of Foreign Wars will recognize an Eagle Scout, Venture Silver Award recipient or Sea Scout Quartermaster who has risen above his or her peers in exemplifying the exceptional qualities of that rank with a $5,000 scholarship. Candidates must be exceptional in all six of the critical elements of healthy youth development as defined by The Louis Harris & Associates, Inc. Study of Scouting. These elements are outlined on the judges score sheet. To be eligible for the award, the candidate must:
- Be a registered, active member of a Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship.
- Be the recipient of the Eagle Scout Award, Venture Silver Award or Quartermaster Award.
- Have demonstrated practical citizenship in school, Scouting and community.
- Have reached his or her 15th birthday and is enrolled in high school at the time of selection.
- Have submitted a complete entry form to a VFW Post in his or her community.
Applicants still in high school who reach their 18th birthday during the nomination year remain eligible if otherwise qualified. A Scout may enter through only one VFW Post.
The deadline for entry to the Post is March 1.
Candidate entry forms are available from Dana Point VFW Post 9934.
The following documentation should be attached to the candidate’s entry form:
- High School Participation Record — a single page, one side resume of the candidate’s high school activities listing offices held, honors received and significant participation in other activities.
- Scouting Record — maximum of three pages, one side only listing of all Scouting participation beginning with Cub Scouts to include years of participation, unit numbers and sponsors. Also include when Eagle, Silver or Quartermaster Award was received and Palms. Identify leadership positions held at all levels, participation in Scouting activities (jamborees, Order of the Arrow conferences, etc.) and the candidate’s Eagle Scout, Venture or Quartermaster Project.
- Community Service Record — a single page, one side resume listing participation in community and religious service organizations (excluding Scouting and school), noting leadership positions held and any recognition received.
- Letters of Recommendation — A maximum of five letters, none exceeding two pages, will be judged. The five letters must include one each from a representative of the school, community and a Scout leader. The two additional letters should be from members of the local community who have special knowledge of the candidate’s abilities and/or accomplishments.
For additional information, contact:
33282 Golden Lantern
Dana Point, CA 92629
Telephone: (949) 248-1419
E-mail: VFW Post 9934 (select “Scouting” on the contact form)